Supercharger Oil Cooler?

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by Powerband, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Powerband

Exhaust heat in a turbo is one of main engineering concerns adding the advantage of no "hot side" in a SC.

The Vortech V2 - typical oil supply/drain, SC in my build obviously heats up to close to engine oil temps. I hadn't thought about the advantage of the 'self contained' oil supply SC's (V3's...) lower oper. temps ( ?).

> Would engine oil cooler radiator maybe with fan before the supercharger oil supply inlet be an advantage to help cool the compressor blower assembly from engine oil temp heating?.

???,

have fun

Tags:

2. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

It wouldn't hurt, especially since you're not likely to run into issues with the oil being too thick at lower temps (since it's a synthetic and flows better at lower temps).

3. ETBlownHome

As cheap as oil coolers are its worth doing for a little insurance.

4. LS Won

If its low boost I wouldn't spend the money but if its high boost then definitely!

5. Autowiz

Why actually it is to protect the expensive power adder from the contamination that your engine's oil is subjected to. The centri's take oil changes every other engine oil change, and the pd blowers like magnuson require oil changes every 85,000 miles. And when you change oil in these self contained blowers, it doesn't come out black and nasty like the engines oil.

6. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

Vortech states it provides both cooling and lubrication, then recommends using a cooler for severe duty and racing:

"We do ask that you change your engine oil at regular intervals because the engine oil cools and lubricates the supercharger gears and bearings. ... For severe duty or racing, it is suggested that you install an oil cooler and filter."

They don't, unfortunately, define what they consider "severe." They do hint elsewhere on their site when they speak of adding one for "continued use" (I assume they mean boost).

7. Powerband

I hadn't considered the elimination of engine oil sourced SC bearing contamination. Adding a cooler and filter to an engine oil lubed SC seems simple enough ...

have fun

8. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

Yeah, I believe they recommend the filter to save the supercharger should you have an engine failure.