Return Style Fuel Pump Question

Discussion in 'Ford, Lincoln and Mercury' started by 08Foush, Aug 24, 2015.

1. 08Foush

I don't know if this is a Ford only question. I put it here in the Ford section just in case but anyone who can give advise I'd appreciate it.

Anyway my truck uses a returnless style fuel system and I'm wanting to do some major horsepower upgrades but first I need to address the fuel system. Returnless style pumps are really expensive compared to something like high volume Walbro return pumps. What's the difference between the pump styles? Can you swap a return pump for a returnless and visa versa?

Tags:

2. vinces427bb Staff Member

3. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

Foush, the pumps themselves are not interchangeable. You should not use a return style pump in a returnless system. A returnless system uses pulse width modulation to vary pump speed and pressure. Walbro and other return pumps will fail prematurely in a returnless because of this. Swapping to a return style isn't really difficult, it's pretty straight forward, except your tuner has to take it into account so the tune isn't expecting to change pressure, and instead only reads it. Like Vince said, once you get into higher horsepower it would probably be easy to convert. You can get a returnless to work with high horsepower but it starts getting very expensive compared to returnless - basically you end up having to buy a lot of excess capacity to minimize pressure loss... easier to swap to a return system.

4. 08Foush

Okay, since that isn't an option, what's the cheapest way to get more pump? Something that can drive 60lb injectors? Its got to be reliable. Sorry to just now get back to you, its been so busy for me and I haven't been able to get here for weeks.

5. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

First thing is upgrade the wiring to the fuel pump with a thicker gauge. That will help lower duty cycle. As far as cheapest, if it weren't an F150 I'd say get a dual pump fuel hat, but for the F150 they are darned expensive and you might want to consider a Kenne Bell Boost A Pump.