What Intake To Go With

Discussion in 'Ford, Lincoln and Mercury' started by A WEAVER, Jul 27, 2019.

1. A WEAVER

I'M NEW HERE BUILDING A 351 W BORED AND STROKED TO A 410 GOING TO RUN A CARB. WONDERING IF I SHOULD GO WITH AN OPEN OR A DUAL PLANE INTAKE. JUST A STREET CAR WITH A TORQSTORM AND A FIVE SPEED.

Tags:

2. vinces427bb Staff Member

WELCOME TO THE SITE:blackalien:
    I WOULD THINK A OPEN SINGLE PLANE INTAKE SHOULD BE BEST..
    WHAT CAR/TRUCK WILL YOU BE RUNNING THIS INo_O

3. A WEAVER

67 fastback

20190315_170213.jpg #ad

LAROKE and vinces427bb like this.
  4. A WEAVER

I thought the same thing . But I've been reading some reviews where there getting more horses out of the dual plane.

5. A WEAVER

I WAS REALLY HOPING SOMEONE WOULD HAVE REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE ON THIS SUBJECT.

6. vinces427bb Staff Member

well the engine is big enough to have plenty of torque;
    manual transmission,
    no high stall converter needed.
    do you have the intake yet?? if not; pick out a good single plane unit that flows nicely...

how about a cam for this engine?
    got one in mind or are you going to do a custom cam??
    you may want to get a cam the works with your whole drivetrain...
    won't hurt to ask a few cam companies their recommendations on this;
    they will want to know airflow on the heads, compression, intake, trans, rear axle ratio, weight of car, etc...
    you can always use the info about recommended cams to help you select one for yourself.:blackalien:

7. A WEAVER

I got a cam from comp spent a couple hours on the phone . They were a lot of help.

8. vinces427bb Staff Member

was it a custom or off the shelf cam??
    what spec's does it have?

9. A WEAVER

Its was a custom grind I took a picture of the cam card I'll try to attach it. 20190705_164753.jpg #ad

10. vinces427bb Staff Member

that should be a smooth idle HR cam..
    ICL -114* and LSA - 114* 228/[email protected]" .578/.572"lift:blackalien:
    what upper rpm is recommended???

my first HR cam rpm range said 1200-5400rpm; it was super strong; but floated valves above 5500/5600 rpm:arghh:
    I still have it; may install it again, but as a hybrid w/solid rollers on the HR-camo_O

11. A WEAVER

I don't have an answer for you. Why were you floating the valves so bad ? You think it was the HR? or springs ?

12. vinces427bb Staff Member

BBC has heavy valves, steel retainers, spring pressure could not handle higher rpms with the hydraulic roller lifters:banghead:

13. A WEAVER

I'll look at the cam card and see if it has an rpm range on it . I have everything at the machine shop right now . Getting the block ready.

14. vinces427bb Staff Member

do you already have a carb modified for blow=thru duty?
    is the fuel system set-up for boost referencing fuel pressure regulator?
    how about the fuel pump and supply & return lines for needed volume & pressure:blackalien:

15. A WEAVER

I haven't got a thing yet . And I'm open to suggestions. Was planning on a blow thru carb.

16. vinces427bb Staff Member

if you have nothing yet; have you considered a fuel injection system? Holley Sniper is one that seems to be great, Fitech is another, but does not seem to be as good...

i think i have about $1000 invested in my fuel system [not including the carb]...
    lines, fittings, tank, fuel pressure regulator, filters - before+after, fuel pump, relays, wiring, it adds up quickly...
    there are several places to get carbs, i got a custom carb from the Carb Shop, it was recommended by procharger...
    it was custom calibrated for my car/combo; great product as it was plug and play, but cost about $900...

C & S is another custom shop, have heard good product and service from them also.
    then there are others advertising ''supercharger calibrated blow-thru carbs'' like demon, holley, and others.
    but they have a more generic calibration that you will need to fine tune yourself to your needs..
    and you can also DIY, if you want to go down that path??

so in retrospect having invested about $2000 in a carb'd fuel system, the newer fuel injection kits are quite attractive,
    as many people are having positive results with these self learning units, and good driveability:blackalien:

17. vinces427bb Staff Member

18. A WEAVER

I was planning on going direct thru the carb. I have a 65 coupe with a NA 302 I put the fi tech on it. There are some things I like about it but some things I hate . Not sure where the term self learning comes from . Besides it just gonna be a fun street car.

19. vinces427bb Staff Member

ok; so it is important to buy a fuel pump that is sized larger than you will use now or in the future if you decide to make even more power...:smuggrin:
    the fuel system is a large investment, so I only wanted to do it onceo_O

20. A WEAVER

Right on . I'm not ruling fuel injection out completely. I know one brand it won't be . If I do go that way.